Sunday, May 11, 2014

As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen











To the little boy who made me a mother, and to the little girl who brought even more love into our hearts...

What a gift they are to me, to us, and to the world. Though there are challenges, I've learned the most from my little ones. I am humbled and thankful that they continue to push me to be a better person.

My parenting style is a little different from most, I've heard from many people who wonder how I do what I do with two children. From the moment I found out I was pregnant with each of my children, I wondered what I would do, what did my life suddenly hold for me? I wasn't sure at the time, and I wasn't sure for a long time after. But I did know that I was going to take my little boy on the greatest adventures. I knew he would be my best friend, my little buddy, my companion through it all, and mostly, he would be my son. A little being that is so much apart of me, a person who I will love unconditionally for all of my days. A child who will grow with wanderlust in his heart, with experience from the world, and a heart as big as the days are long. I wanted to show him the world and take him to do everything I had yet to do in my life. I wasn't going to plan trips without my kids, I wasn't going to lean on my parents for help - no, I was going to - I do - take them with me, and I teach them. We learn the value of our world, of love and friendship, we hike and we dance, we laugh and we play. I teach them to cook, to love, to be silly, to be serious, to be quiet, and to be affectionate. I also teach them to forgive, to not get angry over traffic, not to spend frivolously and to work hard everyday and play hard after that.

Our home is not always clean. I am not a decorator, and I don't have the best sense of style. I'm not trendy, nor do I spend much on things. I am not apart of the PTA at my kids school and I can't knit (although maybe someday I'll learn). I not always patient, and sometimes I yell. 

...but I love. I love them with everything and we explore and we love life. I do my best to face all of my faults and shortcomings as a parent, and I know that my children will have an unbreakable foundation. They will know who they are, and as my days grow shorter and my kids grow taller, I hope to have taught them to love the way I have loved them, to come to me when needed, find comfort in talking to me... and love the world as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment