Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cookies for Santa


^ Festival of lights last night with friends. ^



^ Waving at the passing ship [below].






Greenery and Christmas cards are some of my holiday favorites.


^ Cookies for friends tonight. ^




^ Christmas movies ^



^ Poinsettias delivered to our door this morning. ^


I remember making Russian Tea Cakes when I was a little girl with my mom. They have always been a favorite of mine. They couldn't be any easier to make, a perfect holiday cookie for those who aren't terribly into baking (like me). I change the recipe ever so slightly, they are a big hit in our family. You can do many variations, even adding Christmas sprinkles if you'd like!

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Makes: Appox 22 balls

Ingredients:
1 cup [softened] butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cinnamon
Powdered sugar for rolling

Optional:
Shredded coconut
Finely chopped pecans

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in mixer. Mix well. Add flour and salt. Mix until soft dough forms.
  • Roll dough into approximately 1 inch balls.
  • Optional: Roll formed balls in shredded coconut, some in finely chopped pecans, and leave some plain. I like all three.
  • Place rolled dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets, bake for 8-10 minutes.
  • When cookies are done baking (bottom will be golden brown), let cool for 1 minute. Remove cookies from sheet while still warm and place in bowl of powdered sugar (you'll need about 1/3 cup) to coat. I like to sprinkle additional powdered sugar on top when done.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. These looks so delicious! They're officially on my list of things to try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete